Cyriax Release Test
- Examines the result of unloading the brachial plexus throughout the thoracic outlet
- Utilize release phenomenon (nocturnal paresthesia in upper limb) as a guide for treatment of TOS
- Patient is seated or standing
- Examiner stands behind patient and grasps under the forearms, holding the elbows at 80 degrees of flexion with the forearms and wrists in neutral.
- Examiner leans the patient’s trunk posteriorly and passively elevates the shoulder girdle. This position is held for up to 3 minutes.
- Positive test: Paresthesia and/or numbness (release phenomenon) or symptom reproduction
(Hooper et. al., 2010 & Brismee et. al., 2004)